Gokyo Lakes Trek is a spectacular off-the-beaten adventure in the Everest region. This alternative trekking journey allows you to skip the crowded trails of the Everest Base Camp. Moreover, the unique perspective of the scenic Himalayan vista makes the trek even more beautiful.
Gokyo region is famous for its tranquil turquoise lakes. There are altogether six freshwater Gokyo Lakes along with other minor lakes. The lake system gets its water from the underwater seepage of the Ngozumpa glacier. Thonak Cho is the largest lake, whereas Gokyo Cho (Dudh Pokhari) is the major one. Other Gokyo lakes include Gyazumpa Cho, Tanjung Cho etc.
Besides that, there are other remarkable natural landmarks in the region. Stunning mountain passes, glaciers, and peaks add to the trek’s beauty. You will pass through protected areas of the Sagarmatha National Park. The area’s exotic wildlife includes animals like Himalayan tahr, snow leopards, musk deer, black bears, etc.
The cultural exploration in the trek routes is also an exciting aspect of the trek. You can explore the local Sherpa community and its traditional lifestyle. You can find many Buddhist heritage sites along the trails, like monasteries, gompas, chortens, etc.
Gokyo Lakes Trek 13 days route starts from Lukla, where you arrive on a flight from Kathmandu. You will continue your trek to Namche, passing through Phakding. After that, the trail of this trek diverges from the regular EBC trek and moves toward the Gokyo region.
The trails pass along the bank of Dudh Koshi River, which you will cross through several suspension bridges. While the trek is moderately challenging, you need proper training in advance. The trail traverses through the Dole and Machhermo settlements. You will also climb the majestic Gokyo Ri and get stunning views of the Ngozumpa Glacier.
From Machhermo, you will arrive at Gokyo village, where you will acclimatize and explore the serene Gokyo lakes. You will pass through rocky trails with many boulders and steep glacial moraines. A scenic vista of the snow-clad mountains of the Himalayan region throughout the trek makes it unique.
These snow-clad mountain peaks include Makalu, Lhotse, Cho Oyu, etc. There are many viewpoints along the trail to observe these outstanding Himalayan vistas. Overall, we will provide the Gokyo Lakes Trek 13 days at a reasonable cost. Read on for a complete description of the Everest Gokyo lake trek. Happy traveling!
Highlights of the Trip
- Scenic mountain views of the snow-clad mountains, including Mt Everest, Lhotse, Cho Oyu, etc
- Exploring the beautiful landscapes of the Sagarmatha National Park
- Exploration of diverse wildlife and vegetation of the region
- Many rare and endangered animals, including Himalayan tahr, black bears, dance, snow leopards, birds, etc
- Passing through the cultural settlements of the Sherpa community
- Exploring around the Gokyo lakes, including Thonak Cho, Gokyo Cho, etc
- Climbing the trekking peak of Gokyo Ri
- Exploring the various glaciers, including Ngozumpa
- Passing through the beautiful Khumbu Icefall
- Gorgeous sunrise from multiple viewpoints along the trail
- Warm welcome and hospitality in the teahouses.